January 15, 2014
We have a glove box! We used our partially-mastered automotive fabrication techniques to construct an insert that slips in the front and locks in place against the scuttle cross beam. It's not the best glove box in the history of automotive glove boxes, but the important thing is, you can put things in it and they won't fall out the back, which is a major improvement over the old arrangement. We realize this eliminates one of our Locost's more endearing quirks, but not to worry, we still have tons of quirks left, way more than we actually need.
The good thing is, we didn't have to resort to fiberglass. We made the glove box out of vinyl. The idea came to us a few weeks ago when we were making our vinyl trunk cover. We dismissed it back then because we had way too many other things going on, but now that our Locost is totally sorted, the idea popped up again. Vinyl isn't super stiff, but it's better than our early paper bag idea, and bigger. In fact, we can fit a lot more in the glove box than we can in our cool door pocket, which incidentally hasn't turned out to be quite as useful as we once imagined.
We started the glove box with a strip of 1" wide 16 gauge steel bent into the shape of our glove box door. We next sewed up a vinyl tube, then folded one end of the tube around our steel strip, and sewed up the edge, sealing the metal strip in the pocket. We then sewed a cover onto the open end of the tube, and voila, a glove box insert. Of course we all know by now that any of our feeble attempts to describe our convoluted construction techniques never work, and so as usual we hope the pictures will help, and also as usual they probably won't.
The glove box insert is removable by simply compressing the metal strip and sliding the insert out the door. This provides excellent access to the wires and tubes and all of the other junk under the scuttle, which means we can still possibly install the windshield wiper motor someday, or at least imagine installing it. Currently in the glove box is a pair of sunglasses, our proof of insurance card, and a few clean rags. We're looking forward soon to having our registration in there, along with the usual assortment of pens, paper, receipts, and parking tickets.
Depending on the weight of the objects placed in the glove box, we may need to find a way to support it better. A few tools or car parts, for example, might prove too much for the flimsy vinyl. We think that with the help of some strategically placed fiberboard or possibly aluminum panels we could create some kind of floor underneath the box, which would help, but we're not sure at this point if it would, and so we're not going to worry about it, at least until we actually exceed the structural capacity of the thing. So far it's working fine.
Meanwhile, on the hood scoop front, we reinforced our thin 2-ply fiberglass shell with additional plies of mat and cloth as planned, and started filling in the blemishes on top. All of this takes time to cure, so it's slow going, especially if you totally lack patience like us and start trying to sand things too early. Most of the scoop is blemish free, but it came out of the mold a little too wavy for our tastes, which means we're likely to end up filling and refinishing the entire surface, which of course will take forever. We'll keep you posted.
We don't know how this happened, but our appointment with the Bureau of Automotive Repair has been pushed out to the 28th of this month. Okay, we do know how it happened. The delay could have something to do with the fact that we missed our first appointment. Although that was arguably not entirely our fault. But now we're cutting it kind of close, with our temporary operating permit good only until the end of February. We expect the remaining inspections to go along without a hitch, however, and so in our estimation it's too soon to panic.
Our Build Log
Search log entries
|Home Previous Entry Next Entry Latest Entry|